WAAW Foundation Scholarship 2023 – Are you looking for WAAW Foundation Scholarship online application 2023? In this article, I will provide you with details on the WAAW Foundation Scholarship, how to submit your application online and other related information.
Application is currently open for WAAW Foundation Scholarship 2023. WAAW (Working to Advance Science and Technology Education for African Women) Foundation invites qualifying South African students to apply for its Bursary Programme for 2023 academic year.
- Closing Date: 12 November 2022 (at 11:59pm WAT).
WAAW Foundation Scholarship 2023 South Africa
WAAW (Working to Advance Science and Technology Education for African Women) Foundation, formed in 2007, is an international non-profit organization which aims to empower African Females through STEM Education, Leadership and Entrepreneurship Training.
The Foundation provides various training opportunities, including the “She Hacks Africa Bootcamp”, the “Summer STEM/ Code Camp for Girls”, “STEM Cell College to Secondary Outreach Program”, “STEM Fellows Training Program”, “Academic Scholarships for African College Girls”, “Code School Bootcamp for girls and boys” and “Teachers Training Program”.
The WAAW Foundation is inviting Female students from African countries, to apply for a scholarship award, for the 2023 academic year.
The WAAW Foundation Scholarship awards scholarships each year, to deserving African Females, pursuing undergraduate studies in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)-related courses, including the following:
- Computer Science (all fields)
- Engineering (all fields)
- Environmental Sciences
- Industrial Chemistry
- Medical courses
- Science, Mathematics and related fields
Note: the following courses are NOT covered: Art courses, Social Science courses, Core medical courses (Medicine, Surgery, Nursing etc). Postgraduate (Masters, MBA or PhD) are also NOT covered.
What does WAAW Foundation Scholarship cover?
The scholarship will provide $500 for studies at any African University, College or institute of higher learning.
Scholarship recipients will be required to start a STEM Outreach Chapter at their university.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – if you do not receive any feedback, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
WAAW Foundation scholarship requirements
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a Female student
- You must be of African origin
- You must be between the ages of 16 and 32 years old
- You must be residing and studying in any African country
- You must be enrolled for studies towards your first undergraduate B.S. degree qualification (Masters, MBA or Phd studies and second or subsequent degrees will NOT be funded)
- You must be studying towards a STEM-related course, within one of the fields of study listed above
- You must be in your 1st or 2nd year of study (or in your 3rd year if studying towards a 5-year course)
- You must be studying at a recognised University or college in any African country
- You must have a strong academic record
- You must have proven financial need
- You must have participated in volunteering, community service and leadership
- Preference will be given to underprivileged students (including orphans, female students impacted by HIV)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE WAAW FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
Applications must be submitted online at: WAAW Foundation Scholarship Application Form 2023
Applicants must have the following information and documents readily available when they apply. Each step must be completed before moving on to the next stage – the application form cannot be saved and resumed and cannot be edited after being submitted.
- Personal information and contact details
- Education background and family details
- Essays – these will be strongly considered when making the final selection, so make sure you put a lot of effort and thought into these:
- Essay 1: your future career goals and how think this scholarship will help you to fulfil those goals (maximum 500 words)
- Essay 2: your beliefs about female education in Africa and how it impacts the research, development or advancement in African economies (maximum 300 words)
- Essay 3: your proudest achievement thus far (maximum 500 words)
- Motivational letter, briefly explaining: why you need the scholarship, financial need/ financial situation and how the scholarship will help you to achieve your education and/or career goals (maximum 10 sentences)
- 2 academic or professional references (name and contact details only)
Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit the following documents:
- 2 references (academic or professional): 1 from a professor at your institution and 1 from an academic supervisor/ advisor or mentor (these must be emailed by the referee to WAAW)
- Current signed and sealed transcript from your University (this must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- School identity card (this must be scanned and emailed to WAAW)
WAAW Foundation Scholarship 2023 Closing date
The closing date for the submission of applications for the WAAW Foundation Scholarship is 12 November 2022 (at 11:59pm WAT). Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact the WAAW Foundation directly:
Students must review the WAAW Foundation Scholarship FAQ’s before submitting a query.
Please do NOT contact the WAAW (Working to Advance Science and Technology Education for African Women) Foundation if this bursary has already closed.