Website Human Sciences Research Council
The Legal Services Unit of Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) is looking to employ a Legal and Compliance Officer. The successful incumbent will be based in the HSRC’s Pretoria office, but may be required to travel to the other HSRC office’s as and when the need arises. This is a permanent appointment.
- Company: Human Sciences Research Council
- Vacancy Type: Full Time
- Job Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
- Application Deadline: 14 October 2022
In delivering ‘social science that makes a difference’ the Research Divisions, Units, Institutes and Centres of the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) undertake policy-oriented research from its offices in Pretoria, Cape Town, Durban, and Pietermaritzburg. Our public purpose mandate is set out in the Human Sciences Research Council Act of 2008.
The Legal Services Unit renders legal and compliance services to all units of the HSRC and ensures that legal matters are managed in an effective and efficient manner within the organisation by vetting and reviewing contracts; coordinating referrals to a panel of attorneys; resolving labour relations matters, and dealing with IP and copy right matters.
The Legal Services Unit is looking to employ a Legal and Compliance Officer. The successful incumbent will be based in the HSRC’s Pretoria office, but may be required to travel to the other HSRC office’s as and when the need arises. This is a permanent appointment.
Legal and Compliance Officer
(Ref. No. Legal – LCA-10/2022)
- Identify the principal risks of the legal environment and implement appropriate systems to manage these risks;
- Ensuring that an effective and efficient legal service is rendered to the organisation;
- Serve as a legal and compliance resource and point of reference on legal and compliance matters, as well as rendering formal and informal legal opinions on various commercial matters and providing legal comments on various documents;
- Ensure adequate internal controls are in place to meet compliance with all required laws, rules, and regulations.
- Conduct legal due diligence to identify and minimize potential legal risks;
- Assist all Board, Board Committees and Management with the interpretation of legislation to ensure that the HSRC acts within the confines and parameters of applicable legislation.
- Knowledge of the PFMA and its application.
- Demonstrate initiative, integrity and maturity;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and analytical problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines;
Qualifications & Work Experience:
- Experience in drafting and vetting of Contracts;
- Qualification in Compliance management is preferable
- A recognised Legal Degree. A minimum of three years’ post article experience, or experience as an in-house legal advisor / compliance officer.
To apply for this job please visit hsrc.erecruit.co.