Lead and grow a team which owns core services at the heart of AWS’ Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). We’re looking for a leader with a strong technical background to manage and grow a team of exceptional software development engineers. The services which we own operate at scale with high availability requirements. We’re looking for people who like solving challenging problems, with a demonstrated capacity for technical leadership, while meeting business goals. You’ll get to build services that are critical to the operation of EC2 and ensuring that customers have the highest quality experience.
The successful candidate will posses a combination of technical depth and strong judgment. The role involves weighing up competing priorities while working with your team to ensure that your services remains highly available. Your team will be responsible for software development work required to support upcoming EC2 instance types, with exposure to cutting edge hardware, among other responsibilities.
We aim to balance our responsibilities to our team-mates with our commitments to our customers. Our goal is to create and maintain a sustainable pace knowing that we are working with teams across multiple time zones.
Key job responsibilities
- Managing the team roadmap for delivering new features and instance types for customers in support of key business goals and priorities.
- Ensuring that a high bar is maintained operationally. In particular, around testing, deployments and service monitoring.
- Building an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members.
- Creating and executing appropriate quality plans, project plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with business and project management efforts.
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team.
- Maintaining current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology all the way down to the hardware level.
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals including knowledge of common data structures and their associated Big O complexity is a must.
- System design skills – designing for scale and availability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 3+ years of experience developing object-oriented software, with mastery of one or more languages (e.g. Java, C#, Scala, Kotlin, C++, Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Strong problem solving abilities.
- BS/MS/PhD in computer science or equivalent experience
- 2-5 years experience managing a software development team, including both technical and people management.
The ability to develop simple solutions for complex problems.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.