This role is a unique opportunity to work in some of the most cutting edge data centers in the world. AWS data centers are large-scale high-density centers where you will be working on changing the face of Cloud technology in the region.
A DCT will work as part of the Operations team whose primary responsibility is the maintenance and upkeep of the data center infrastructure. The candidate may be the primary point of contact for both internal customers (for example: Network Engineers, Systems Engineers, Software Developers, Database Engineers, Technical Operations) and external customers (Hardware Vendors, Contractors, Service Providers among others). The position is full time and has an on-call (standby) component every 5-6 weeks, operating on a 24*7 rotation. The ideal candidate is someone with hands-on hardware experience.
- Work and meet SLA’s against assigned trouble tickets via a directed workflow
- First line touch point for hardware troubleshooting and technical issues
- Perform regular server hardware repairs (drives, motherboards etc.)
- Carry out routine network, server hardware and OS related repairs
- Work with cross-functional teams on a regular basis to complete routine work
- Engage with Smart Hands in EU Regional POPs
- Adhere to security and safety best practices in the data center
- Participate in Data Center power & cooling events
- Participate in team meetings for metric analysis and daily/weekly goals achievement
- Identify and help create documentation for use globally
- Identify and help create process improvements relevant to the data center environment
- Perform server upgrades, rebuilds, scheduled works as required
- Interact with third party vendors & contractors
- Contribute to the development of other team members
Key job responsibilities
AWS Data center technicians maintain data servers and network equipment. Duties include maintaining an optimally controlled environment for servers, and conduct break fixes on network and server devices.
- 3+ years of technical experience
- Intermediate knowledge of computer hardware systems
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently and well with others in a team environment, displaying excellent time management skills
- Ability to take direction from both a directed work system and/or a team lead
- Able to lift/move up to 20kg equipment on a daily basis
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of Linux is an advantage.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of networking is an advantage.
- Experience with one of the following connection protocols/technologies: SSH, TELNET, IPMI, LILO
- NQF level 4 or 5 (preferably NQF 6 or 7)
Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and broader based Black Economic Empowerment and the further diversification of ideas. The relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity and Black Economic Empowerment will be considered when appointing potential candidates.
We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.