Amazon Web Services (“AWS”) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform. AWS offers over 100+ fully featured services to millions of active customers around the world—including the fastest-growing start-ups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies and organizations. AWS Customers are continuing to leverage AWS Services for applications ranging from exploratory to targeted innovative solutions to business-critical systems.
Kumo is the software engineering organization that scales AWS’s support capabilities. Amazon’s mission is to be earth’s most customer-centric company and this also applies when it comes to helping our own Amazon employees with their everyday IT Support needs. Our team is innovating for the Amazonian, making the interaction with IT Support as smooth as possible. We achieve this through multiple mechanisms which eliminate root causes altogether, automate issue resolution or point customers towards the optimal troubleshooting steps for their situation. We deliver the support solutions plus the end-user content with instructions to help them self-serve. We employ machine learning solutions on multiple ends to understand our customer’s behavior, predict customer’s intent, deliver personalized content and automate issue resolution through chatbots.
Depending On The Level, You Will Demonstrate Knowledge In The Following Disciplines At Varying Levels
Our team is growing and hiring software development engineers at all levels.
- You recognize and adopt best practices in software development engineering: design, testing, version control, documentation, build, deployment, and operations.
- You write high quality, maintainable, and robust code
- You have a working knowledge of basic UI technologies, frameworks and concepts including HTML 5, REST, jQuery, AJAX, CSS3, SOA, Responsive design
- You can define APIs and integrate them into usable interfaces
- You understand how web applications work, perform and scale. You are comfortable with troubleshooting and problem analysis
- You solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- You develop pragmatic solutions. You build flexible/scalable systems without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones. Where existing solutions are known, you use them.
- You understand fundamental data structures and algorithms and know how, when and when not to use them.
- You anticipate and prevent future problems from occurring
About The Team
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- The technical skills required for this role include strong object-oriented design and programming in Java.
- A deep understanding of Computer Science fundamentals is essential (know those data structures and algorithms)
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or other quantitative field
- Experience working pragmatically under deadlines with operational software is highly desired.
- You enjoy building things and are curious to find how things work
- You love solving the big and hard problems as well as make sure your service stays running
- Experience with AWS services and server-less technologies is a plus
- Honour’s or MSc degree in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or other quantitative field is a plus
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
To apply for this job please visit www.amazon.jobs.