Bheki Mlangeni Bursary 2023 – Are you looking for Bheki Mlangeni Bursary online application 2023? In this article, I will provide you with details on the Bheki Mlangeni Bursary, how to submit your application online and other related information.
Application is currently open for Bheki Mlangeni Bursary 2023. Cheadle Thompson & Haysom Inc. invites qualifying South African students to apply for its Bursary Programme for 2023 academic year.
- Closing Date: September 18, 2022
Bheki Mlangeni Bursary 2023
Cheadle Thompson & Haysom Inc. Attorneys are one of the leading South African law firms, first established in 1979 by a group of legal academics from the University of Witwatersrand.
Over time, Cheadle Thompson and Hayson Inc. have grown tremendously, from their origins as labour law and human rights practice- to a leading law firm. Their offices are located both in Cape Town and Johannesburg, consisting of a number of lawyers professionally trained in expertise, along with their ever-growing clientèle. The firm ensures that legal and academic expertise is combined with advice that is practical and strategic.
The Bheki Mlangeni scholarship was established in memory of Bhekisizwe Godfrey Mlangeni, a colleague, and friend to Cheadle Thompson & Haysom Inc. In January 1989, Mlangeni joined the firm as a graduate from Wits University, a community activist, and aspiring lawyer, despite his impoverished upbringing. Mlangeni was assassinated on 15 February 1991 from an explosion triggered by a booby-trapped cassette player that was both dispatched and manufactured by the Vlakplaas Unit of the then South African Police.
The aim of the scholarship programme is to:
- Celebrate the memories and legacy of Bhekisizwe Godfrey Mlangeni
- Remind us all about the sacrificed many made to achieve the democracy we have today
- Promote legal education that is progressive at the Witwatersrand University
- To continuously remind us that we all have the responsibility to recognise and establish the principles of our Constitution
What Does Bheki Mlangeni Bursary Cover?
Cheadle Thompson and Haysom Inc. Attorneys are inviting final year LLB students to apply for the Bheki Mlangeni Memorial Scholarship, for studies at the University of Witwatersrand and the University of the Western Cape.
The bursary is awarded annually to deserving students, to the value of R30 000.
Scholarship recipients may be required to take part in the vacation work program at Cheadle Thompson and Haysom Inc.
Bheki Mlangeni Bursary Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be studying towards an LLB qualification
- You must be entering your final year of study
- You must be studying at the University of Witwatersrand or the University of the Western Cape
- You must be Black
- You must be in financial need
- You must show a commitment to your legal qualification
- You must have a goal to advance the cause of social justice
- You must have shown excellence in Labour Law, Constitutional Law or Administrative Law
How to Apply for Bheki Mlangeni Bursary
Students who meet the eligibility criteria, can apply by submitting clear copies of the following documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Full academic results/ record (certified copy)
- Motivational letter stating why you deserve to be awarded the scholarship
- An updated Curriculum Vitae, including your student number
- 2 reference letters
- Contact details (telephone number and email address)
University of Witwatersrand students:
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to Wanda Ndlozi (University Coordinator): firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Western Cape students:
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to Vernon Johannes (University Coordinator): email@example.com
Insert the words “Bheki Mlangeni Scholarship Application” in the email subject line.
Bheki Mlangeni Bursary 2023 Closing Date
The closing date for the submission of applications for Bheki Mlangeni Bursary is 18 September 2022. Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact Cheadle Thompson and Haysom Inc. directly:
Tel: 011 403 2765
Cape Town branc:
Tel: 021 418 2278
Please do NOT contact Cheadle Thompson and Haysom Inc. if this bursary has already closed.