Eastern Cape Department of Health
ANNUAL REGISTRAR PROGRAMME 2022/23
The Eastern Cape Department of Health (ECDoH) in conjunction with the Faculty of Health Sciences of Walter Sisulu University (WSU) hereby invites applications from qualified Medical Practitioners who meet the following criteria to apply for Registrar posts:
1. Two years clinical experience after Post Community Service within the province.
2. Successful completion of CMSA diploma and Part 1 examinations relevant to the discipline – will be an added advantage where applicable.
3. Reasonable proficiency in speaking local language(s) and evidence of a long term commitment to the Eastern Cape Province will add weight to an application.
4. Priority will be given to Medical Officers employed in the ECDoH who are interested in specialties prioritised by the ECDoH in terms of its service imperatives.
5. Where a Medical Officer does not meet all these requirements, his/her application may be considered and will be based on:
a. An excellent performance rating over the recent period in particular in the CMSA examinations;
b. The rarity of the specialty which is a need in the department an applicant wishes to pursue;
c. An absence of local applications from doctors in particular disciplines who meet the above requirements with motivation from the relevant HOD.
Frère Hospital & Cecilia Makiwane Hospital;
Livingstone Hospital / Port Elizabeth Provincial Hospital, & Dora Nginza Hospital Elizabeth Donkin Hospital;
Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital and Mthatha General Hospital;
Fort England Psychiatric Hospital;
Kindly indicate your preferred institution on the new approved Z83 (81/971431) form.
NB: Rural Allowance is payable to Mthatha, Komani, Frontier and Fort England Registrars only.
All Medical Officers who previously applied must reapply as they will not automatically qualify for consideration in this advert.
1. Standard requirements for the posts:
Registrars will be required to register as postgraduate students of the Walter Sisulu University.
Applicants must be South African citizens or complying with the immigration laws.
Applicants must be registered for independent practice with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA).
HPCSA TRAINING POSTS ARE ACCREDITED IN THE FOLLOWING DISCIPLINES. A LIMITED NUMBER OF POSTS ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE IN SOME OF THESE DISCIPLINES:
1. This advertisement applies for the 2022/23 financial year and shall be valid for 6 months.
2. Appointment of Registrars will be for a contract period of 4 years or 5 years depending on the minimum requirements of the discipline.
3. In all cases, after completion of the Registrar training period, the newly qualified specialists will be contracted to work for the Department for a period equivalent to their training out of province.
4. It is a requirement of training that Registrars successfully complete the appropriate College of Medicine examinations prior to their registration as a Medical Specialist with the HPCSA and submit a dissertation by research for the additional award of the Master of Medicine (MMed) Degree of Walter Sisulu University.
5. Registrars may be required to rotate through HPCSA accredited hospitals of the WSU Teaching Hospital Complexes in Mthatha, East London, Gqeberha, Komani and Grahamstown and / or other Teaching Hospital Complexes when deemed necessary. Applicants for the subspecialty position must be registered in the appropriate specialty.
6. Registrar application forms may be obtained from the Postgraduate Office of the Faculty of Health Sciences at WSU and from the Resource Centres in East London, Gqeberha and Komani, or alternatively can be accessed from the following website: www.wsu.ac.za.
7. The closing date for the applications is the 9th of December 2022.
a. The Hospital CEOs in Mthatha: Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital & Mthatha Regional Hospital; East London: Frere Hospital & Cecilia Makiwane Hospital; Grahamstown: Fort England Psychiatric Hospital and Gqeberha: Livingstone & Port Elizabeth Provincial Hospitals, Dora Nginza Hospital and Elizabeth Donkin Psychiatric Hospital.
8. For further information, please email:
East London : Prof Lazarus: email@example.com
Port Elizabeth : Prof Mda: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mthatha : Relevant HOD
Postgraduate Coordinator : Ms Y Mweli: email@example.com
HPTDG office : Mr Khoabane: Selamose.Khoabane@echealth.gov.za