Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development
CHIEF PROFESSIONAL SURVEYOR (GRADE A – B) REF NO: 3/2/1/2022/682
Directorate: Examination, State and Land Reform Surveys Services
Salary: R939 408 – R1 755 627 per annum, (Salary will be in accordance with the OSD requirements)
Location: Limpopo (Polokwane)
- Applicants must be in possession of a Grade 12 Certificate and 4-years Bachelor of Science Degree in Survey / Geomatics.
- Minimum of 6 years post qualification survey experience required.
- Compulsory registration with South African Geomatics Council (SAGC) as a Professional Surveyor on appointment.
- Compulsory registration with South African Geomatics Council (SAGC) as a Professional Surveyor to perform cadastral surveys.
Job related knowledge:
- Programme and project management.
- Survey, legal and operational compliance,
- Survey operational communication,
- Process knowledge and skills,
- Maintenance skills and knowledge,
- Mobile equipment operating skills,
- Survey design and analysis knowledge,
- Research and development,
- Computer-aided survey applications,
- Creating high performance culture,
- Technical consulting
- Survey and professional judgement.
Job related skills:
- Strategic capability and leadership skills,
- Problem solving analysis skills,
- Decision making skills,
- Team leadership skills,
- Creativity skills,
- Customer focus and responsiveness skills,
- Communication skills,
- Computer skills,
- People management skills,
- Planning and organising skills,
- Conflict management skills,
- Negotiation skills
- Change management.
- A valid driver’s licence.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Design, plan and perform surveys to solve practical survey problems (challenges), improve efficiency and enhance safety.
- Manage projects on the application of new and existing survey technologies.
- Manage and plan surveys of a varied and complex nature.
- Develop cost effective solutions and approve surveys according to prescribed requirements / standards.
- Promote safety in line with statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Evaluate existing technical manuals, standard drawings and procedure to incorporate new technology.
- Provide expert advisory and support services.
- Coordinate and develop tender specifications.
- Maintain survey operational effectiveness.
- Manage the execution of maintenance strategy through the provision of appropriate structures, systems and resources.
- Set survey maintenance standards, specifications and service levels according to organisational objectives.
- Monitor maintenance efficiencies according to organisational goals to direct or redirect survey services.
- Allocate, control, monitor and report on all resources.
- Compile risk logs and manages significant risk according to sound risk management practice and organisational requirements.
- Provide technical consulting services for the operation on survey related matters to minimise possible survey risks.
- Manage and implement knowledge sharing initiatives e.g short-term assignments and secondments within and across operations, in support of individual development plans, operational requirements and return on investment.
- Monitor the exchange and protection of information between operations and individuals to ensure effective knowledge management according to departmental objectives.
- Financial management.
- Ensure the availability of and management of funds to meet the Medium-Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) objectives within the survey environment / services.
- Manage the operational capital project portfolio for the operation to ensure effective resourcing according to organisational needs and objectives.
- Manage the commercial value add of the discipline related programmes and projects.
- Facilitate the compilation of innovation proposals to ensure validity and adherence to organisational principles.
- Allocate, control and monitor expenditure according to budget to ensure efficient cash flow management.
- People management.
- Manage the development, motivation and utilisation of human resources for the discipline to ensure competent knowledge base for the continued success of the survey services according to the organisational needs and requirements.
- Manage subordinates’ key performance areas by setting and monitoring performance standards and taking actions to correct deviations to achieve departmental objectives.
Enquiries: Ms M Kekana Tel No: (012) 326 8050
How to Apply for Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development Vacancies
Applications can be submitted by post to: Private Bag X9312, Polokwane, 0700
or hand delivered to: 61 Biccard street, Polokwane, 0700.
NOTE: African, Coloured, Indian and White Males and Coloured, Indian and White Females and Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: 05 December 2022 at 16:00
The application must include only completed and signed new Z83 Form,
obtainable from any Public Service Department or on the DPSA web site link: https://www.dpsa.gov.za/newsroom/psvc/ and a detailed Curriculum Vitae. Certified copies of Identity Document, Grade 12 Certificate and the highest required qualifications as well as a driver’s licence where necessary, will only be submitted by shortlisted candidates to Human Resources on or before the day of the interview date. Failure to do so will result in your application being disqualified.
Foreign qualifications must be accompanied by an evaluation report issued by SAQA. It is the applicant’s responsibility to have all foreign qualifications evaluated by SAQA and to provide proof of such evaluation report (only when shortlisted).
The requirements for appointment at SMS level include the successful completion of the Senior Management Pre-entry Programme as endorsed by the NSG. Prior to appointment, a candidate would be required to complete the Nyukela Programme: Pre-entry Certificate to Senior Management Services as endorsed by DPSA which is an online course, endorsed by the National School of Government (NSG). The course is available at the NSG under the name Certificate for entry into the SMS and the full details can be sourced by the following link: https://www.thensg.gov.za/training-course/sms-pre-entry-programme/. No appointment will take place without the successful completion of the pre-entry certificate and submission of proof thereof.
All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to a technical exercise that intends to test relevant technical elements of the job, the logistics of which will be communicated by the Department. Following the interview and technical exercise, the selection panel will recommend candidates to attend a generic managerial competency assessment in compliance with the Department of Public Service and Administration (DPSA) Directive on the Implementation of Competency Based Assessments. The competency assessment will be testing generic managerial competencies using the mandated DPSA SMS competency assessment tools.
Applications: Please ensure that you submit your application before the closing date as no late applications will be considered. If you apply for more than 1 post, please submit separate applications for each post that you apply for.
Due to the large number of applications we envisage to receive, applications will not be acknowledged. Should you not be contacted within 3 months of the closing date of the advertisement, please consider your application to be unsuccessful. Should, during any stage of the recruitment process, a moratorium be placed on the filling of posts or the Department is affected by any process such as, but not limited to, restructuring or reorganisation of posts, the Department reserves the right to cancel the recruitment process and re-advertise the post at any time in the future.
Important: DALRRD is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. It is our intention to promote representivity in DALRRD through the filling of posts. The Department reserves the right not to fill a position. Shortlisted candidates will be required to be available for assessments and interviews at a date and time as determined by the Department. All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to personnel suitability checks. The successful candidate will be subjected to undergo security vetting. DALRRD will conduct reference checks which may include social media profiles of the shortlisted candidates.
Applicants must declare any pending criminal, disciplinary or any other allegations or investigations against them. Should this be uncovered during / after the interview took place, the application will not be considered and in the unlikely event that the person has been appointed such appointment will be terminated. The successful candidate will be appointed subject to positive results of the security clearance process. The successful candidate will be required to enter into an employment contract and sign a performance agreement with the Department. All applicants are required to declare any conflict or perceived conflict of interest, to disclose memberships of Boards and directorships that they may be associated with.